Code enforcement: Workflow tab
The Workflow tab shows the steps required to process the code enforcement case to completion. Typically, the workflow steps are grouped into Administrative, Review, and Final worklists. Depending on your jurisdiction's configuration, this tab may already be populated with multiple workflow steps based on the case type that was initially selected. However, additional workflow steps can be added.
Adding a workflow step
- Click the Step Maintenance button below the list of existing workflow steps.
- Select either the Administrative, Review, or Final worklist. *Note: The worklist you select will determine the options for each step listed.
- Click Add. An additional row will appear.
- Begin typing or click the magnifying glass icon () to select the workflow step from the list. The workflow step's details will populate into the row.
- Adjust the fields for each step as necessary
- Delete (): Click this icon to remove a step from the list.
- Order: Enter a number to indicate where in the list this step should appear. You can also click the up arrow icon () to move the specific step to the top of the list.
- Information Icon (): This will detail the Statuses and Actions tied to this step as well as the default unit of measurement for Processing and Notification duration, such as business days.
- Proc. Duration: Use this field to edit the processing duration for the step. This will populate a due date for the workflow step in the user's To Do list as long as a due date calculation is selected.
- Notif. Duration: Use this field to edit the notification duration for the step. This setting will trigger an email notification if the user is subscribed to email notifications and will change the color of the workflow step on the user's To Do list.
- Required: Select Not Required, Required for Approval, or Required for Closure as applicable.
- Due Date Calculation: Select an option from the drop-down menu to determine how the due date will be calculated for this step. If the step you are editing has a base step associated with it, you must select either Base Due Date or Base Completed Date.
- Base Step(s): This column will list any base steps associated with the particular workflow step.
- Step Dependencies (): Click this icon to add and view any associated base steps or dependent steps to the current step.
- Step Actions (): Click this icon to add or remove any additional step actions as well as edit the order, action field, and description of the step actions for the selected workflow.
- Step Assignments (): Click this icon to assign the workflow step to specific users and/or groups. *Note: We recommend assigning steps to Distribution Groups as this allows the jurisdiction to easily update the assignee configuration without having to update each individual step.
- Click Save.
Processing workflow steps
You can process a workflow step through the Step Detail window or through the Workflow tab on the code enforcement case. Processing the workflow step from the Step Detail window allows you to update the status of any actions associated with the step individually as well as assign the step. Processing the workflow steps from the Workflow tab allows you to quickly update the status of any workflow step associated with the code enforcement case.
Processing from the Step Detail Window
- Select the appropriate Display Worklist option.
- Click the information icon () next to the workflow step.
- In the Detail window, select the appropriate Workflow Step Status.
- The Status Date and Status By fields will automatically populate with the current date and your name if you have changed the status. You may adjust these fields as necessary.
- The Due Date field may automatically populate based on the due date calculation method for this step. You may adjust this date as necessary. *Note: If the Due Date Calculation for this step is set to None, a due date will not populate into this field.
- In the Actions section, address each action individually by changing the action's Status or click the Mark All Complete button to complete all the actions in this section.
- The Status Date and Status By fields will automatically populate with the current date and your name, but can be adjusted as necessary. *Note: If the workflow step actions do not have the required statuses selected, you may receive a "Step has uncompleted actions." error message. You can address this error by correcting the statuses for the Actions or bypass the error message by clicking Ignore.
- In the Hours section, click Add to add time spent working on this workflow step to as many users as necessary.
- In the Notes section, click Add to add any notes to the workflow step.
- In the Assignments section, click Add to assign the workflow step to one or more users or groups. Begin typing or click the magnifying glass icon () to select an assignee from the list.
- Click Save.
Processing from the workflow tab
- Use the Worfklow Step Status drop-down to edit the status of the workflow step. This will populate the Status Date field with the current date and the Status By field with your name. Adjust these as necessary. *Note: If the workflow step actions do not have the required statuses selected, you may receive a "Step has uncompleted actions." error message. You can address this error by correcting the statuses for the Actions or bypass the error message by clicking Ignore.
- Click the notes icon () to add, edit, and view any notes associated with the workflow step.