Processing and Assigning Work Orders
Once a work order has been entered into the system, it will follow the automatic routing rules that your organization has established. It may go through several users for approval before being assigned to the user who will actually perform the work. In many cases, the last step in the automatic routing will go to an Administrator or Supervisor and that user will manually assign the work order to the technician.
Watch the Video Tutorial:
How to Process Work Orders
In the Work Orders By Status section of your MaintenanceDirect homepage, you will see a list of Request Totals.
- Click on the number next to Unassigned. These are the work orders that have been assigned to you for processing.
- This brings you to a processing screen where you will see information for the first work order in the list of Unassigned work orders.
- You can sort the list of work orders, by using the Sort By drop down box.
- If you need to print hard copies of the work orders that you are processing, you can check the box to use the Batch Print feature.
- The Unprocessed New Requests drop down box shows you the Request Description for the work order on the screen. To process a different work order, select a different request description from this drop down box.
- You will see the Work Order ID, Requester's name and Date Requested on the next line. If you would like to view the long form of the work order, click on the WOID number.
- The drop down boxes for each field show the information that was entered on the original request. If needed, you can make changes to any of this information.
- To assign this work order to a user, click on the Assign/Route To drop down box and select the user's name.
- You can change the Status of this request to Work in Progress (or any other status) by using the Status drop down box. If you do not change the status here, the system may prompt you to change it when you save the work order.
- If you need to enter Budget or Classification/Type information to this work order, check the appropriate box. The screen will refresh and you will be able to make your selections from a drop down list.
- Select the Purpose Code from the drop down box, if it is not already selected.
- If you are using Project Codes, that information can be selected here as well.
- The Target Start Date will already be filled in for you.
- Fill in the other information as needed.
- At the bottom of the processing screen, click the Submit button to save your changes and send the work order to the assigned user. It will appear on their homepage.
- If you need to print the work order, click Submit & Print.
- Once you click Submit, the work order will no longer appear in your Unassigned Work Orders. The screen will refresh to show the details of the next work order in the list for you to process.