Printing assets and barcodes/QR codes
There are various Asset printing options in Asset Essentials. Whether you are looking for trend information, or you want to print labels for your Assets, the Print menu allows you to produce a list of the Assets in your system.
Advantages of using barcodes and QR codes
- Barcodes can be scanned using the Asset Essentials mobile app on your device.
- If you have an existing barcode label for your item, such as a manufacturer's barcode, you can add that same barcode label to the item in Asset Essentials.
- The item's barcode label can also be used by other systems outside of Asset Essentials. Barcode labels are represented by a numerical value entered in a text field and are not unique or specific to Asset Essentials, making them universal.
*Important: In order to use printed QR codes when physically tagging assets for tracking in Asset Essentials, the QR codes must be created in and printed from Asset Essentials. QR codes that have been generated outside of the Asset Essentials software are not compatible and cannot be imported into the system. Externally generated QR codes will not bring up or track assets when scanned in the Asset Essentials mobile app or web versions.
- QR codes can be scanned directly from the Asset Essentials mobile app or from your device's camera. If you open your device's camera to scan the QR code, it will ask you if you want to open the item using your Asset Essentials account URL in a web browser. *Note: If you are using your device's camera to scan the QR code, you will need to log in to Asset Essentials in order to see the item.
- When scanning a QR code in the Asset Essentials mobile app, it will automatically recognize what type of item is being scanned and direct you to a list of actions you can choose from.
- QR codes provide layers of protection for your items stored in Asset Essentials.
How to print assets
- Click on the Assets menu icon, then select Assets.
- If you would only like to print a few Assets, check the box to the left of those Assets. If you would like to print by page, do not check any boxes on the Asset summary page.
- Click on the Print/Report button, and then click Print.
- Choose from one of five printing options:
Asset Barcode/QR Code
This printout will list each Asset on one page, with a list of it's Name, Asset #, Serial #, Make and Model. It will also include a large QR code on the page associated with that specific Asset. *Note: In order for the printout to produce a barcode, you must enter a barcode number on the Asset detail page.
The Asset Detail printout gives you a wide variety of information that pertains to this Asset. General Asset information, Custom Fields, Safety Programs, Meter Titles, among other pieces of data. There is also a small QR code for that Asset in the top right of the page. *Note: In order for the printout to produce a barcode, you must enter a barcode number on the Asset detail page.
Asset Detail w/o Custom Fields
This printout shows the same information as the Asset Detail printout, but it does not include any of the various Custom Fields that could be associated with this Asset. It also includes the small QR code for that Asset in the top right of the page. *Note: In order for the printout to produce a barcode, you must enter a barcode number on the Asset detail page.
Asset Labels (2x7)
This printout gives you small labels that list the Asset Name, Asset Number, and the QR code. Fourteen labels fit on one page, so this is a good option if you are trying to print smaller labels for multiple Assets. *Note: In order for the printout to produce a barcode, you must enter a barcode number on the Asset detail page.
The Trend Analysis printout is a popular option because of the depth of data it provides. The data seen here relies on purchase and life cycle data that has been entered on the Asset. You will see one page per Asset, with average and projected cost data and work order or "event" data.
- If you checked off any specific Assets, you will have an option to print only the Selected record(s). Otherwise, you can choose to print just the Current page of Assets, or Select page(s) to print, such as pages 1-3. If you'd like, you can also select to print All Assets, as long as there are fewer than 500 Assets total.
- Click OK to produce the printout.