One of the features that sets Mobile311 apart is the ability to display the location of one’s assets on a map. These assets can be anything from fire hydrants, sewer lines, manholes, power lines, etc. The location and information data from these assets is known as Geographic Information System (GIS) data. GIS data is grouped by categories, known as “layers”. You can gather your GIS data and Dude Solutions will host your data for you or you can have 3rd party host it or you can host your data yourself.
If Dude Solutions is hosting your data, we then create a GIS map of these assets for you using ConnectGIS. No matter who is hosting the data for you, Mobile311 has the ability to integrate your GIS data into Mobile311.
On the following pages, you will learn how GIS data can be integrated into Mobile311 to create and track work orders for your assets.
Table of Contents
- How to Link GIS Data into Mobile 311
- How to Identify an Asset ID
- How to Create a Work Item from GIS Data Displayed on the Map
- Setting up GIS Lookup
- Creating a Work Item Using GIS Lookup
- Asset ID - An identifier for the asset.
- Attribute Table - An attribute is non-spatial information about a geographic feature in a GIS. Attributes are usually stored in a table called an attribute table. For example, attributes of a river might include its name, length, and sediment load at a gauging station.
- GIS - Geographic Information System that is created by GPS coordinates and other map information. There are two main types of GIS data; raster and vector.
- GIS Raster Data - An image (a weather map for example) or an aerial photo. Each pixel or cell of the raster has a value that describes the area within it.
- GIS Vector Data - Data points, lines, and polygons. Common examples of GIS Vector data are water meters (data points), water pipes (data lines), and zoning boundaries (data polygons).
- Layer - Groups of similar features such as parcels, roads, etc.
- Map Service - A web-formatted view of GIS data that is published for use in ConnectGIS, Mobile311, or both.
- Rest URL - A link to the client's GIS data that is used to enter GIS data into Mobile311.
- Token Service - A secondary authentication system used alongside a password to provide extra security upon entry for a client's data that is usually presented as a string of numbers and letters.