How do we identify outliers? An outlier is a bill point that falls far from where it might be expected to fall, based upon the trend established by other bills.
Value of Outliers
Outliers provide potentially valuable information because they help identify an abnormal bill that has usage far different than we might expect. Questions that outliers prompt might include:
- Is the recorded usage accurate?
- Was the usage entered correctly?
- Were we billed correctly?
- Did something unusual occur in the building during the month that caused higher than expected usage?
- Are there problems with HVAC or lighting controls?