Enter a Bill
Go to Bill Processing, then Enter Bills.
Click the "+ Add Bill" button. The bill entry dialog will open.
The UtilityManager Bill Entry Window
- Account and Bill Entry general information
- Bill Entry Template with meter and place information
- Graphical bill history (current bill highlighted)
- Audit results (problem indicated with caution icon)
- Save Bill / Verify (audit) / Cancel (don't save)
1. In the "Account" field, begin entering any of the following values to search for your account: account number, account code, street address, or meter serial number.
Click the desired account from the match list. the Bill Entry window will be pre-populated with appropriate information based on the selected account.
Input the remaining required information.
- Start Date: The Start Date is taken from the previous bill End Date. If necessary, enter the first day of the billing period. For all date fields, either type the date in MMDDYYYY format or click the calendar icon to click/select the date from the popup calendar.
- End Date: Enter the last day of the billing period.
Days: Enter the number of days in the billing period (Calculated from Start/End Dates. If a different number is entered when Start/End dates are present, UtilityManager recalculates the End Date based on the number of days entered for the Billing Period.)
- Billing Period: Use the up/down arrow keys to adjust if necessary. The default billing month/year is the mid-point between Start and End Dates.
- Pay Amount: Enter amount due.
- Due Date: Enter the bill's due date (optional).
- Statement Date: Enter the statement date from the bill (optional).
- Estimated: Check if the bill is estimated.
2. Continue pressing tab or enter to move through each bill entry field as you enter the necessary data.
Be aware that not all data may be required for your tracking purposes. If required line items are missing from the bill entry template, the correct template can be selected from the meter properties. Call Dude Solutions Client Service if you have any questions regarding using/changing templates.
When all of the necessary data is entered click "Save Bill" to finish the bill entry process. If a balance remains (Remaining Balance window will open), select the appropriate category for each additional expense. Then click OK.
The bill entry screen will remain open and ready to search for a new account or reuse the previous one and enter a new bill.
Click "Cancel" to close without saving.
3. The cost per day that is calculated based upon the Pay Amount and Days will be shown (with a red circle) in the Cost Per Day chart. This is a quick visual to see how it may compare to the same month in the previous year(s). A major difference can be an indication of a problem.
4. Quick Audits run in the background to give you an immediate indication as to if there is a potential problem with the bill.
5. If desired, click the Verify button for further analysis of the bill.
Each bill can be compared with up to 24 months of data on a cost, use, and unit cost basis for quick visual verification that this is a reasonable bill. Demand for electric meters can also be compared with previous values.
Tips For Faster Bill Entry
- Use the keyboard keypad if you have one: Pressing enter will advance you to the next field.
- Don't enter commas in numeric fields: UtilityManager will format your numbers correctly after you leave a field.
- Enter shorthand dates: You don't have to enter the complete date. If you are using the keypad, you can separate days, months and years with slashes (/), periods (.), or hyphens (-). If the bill is for the current year, you can leave it off and it will auto complete to the current year. Examples:
- 4.12 = 04/12/2010
- 4-12-09 = 04/12/2009
- 0412 = 04/12/2010
- Use the Quick Audits and Verify button: UtilityManager provides these tools to help you verify that what you've entered makes sense compared to historical bills.
Each new bill is assigned an internal bill entry "batch" code. A bill entry "batch" comprises all bills added by a user in a single day. UtilityManager maintains batch control totals for the number of bills entered, and total cost for bills in the batch. This gives you a convenient way to ensure no bills were skipped.
Other Bill Entry Options:
Click the Account Memo icon to view and edit the Account Memo.
Click the Bill Problem Flags icon to view/add Bill Problem Flags and comments. Flagged bills can be set as fixed at a future date. Flags and comments will appear in various reports, and on the PDF of each bill.