Downloading the App
Safety Center is set up and managed in an online portal, accessed through an internet browser. However, the Safety Center app is where the actual plans are housed, to be accessed by end-users. The Safety Center app can be downloaded to any smartphone that has the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
How to Download the Safety Center App
- Access the app store on your smartphone.
- Search for Safety Center.
- Install the app to your device.
- Or, if you have a QR code reader on your smartphone, scan the codes below to locate the app in the store and then install it.
- When you first open the app, you are given the option to Login with an existing account, Create Account, or Continue without logging in. Whether or not you need to create an account depends on the security requirements of the plan you need to access.
How to Access your Plan
Plans in Safety Center can be assigned various levels of security, which impacts how the plan is accessed. These security levels range from having the plan listed publicly in the app, available for anyone to download, to requiring a user create an account and setup a PIN in order to access the plan. Contact your plan's Administrator for more information about how your plan should be accessed.
While using the Safety Center app, there are a few features that will require certain permissions on your device. See below for a list of permissions, a brief description of how the Safety Center app interacts with these permissions, and why they are required. This list includes the name of the permission (for Android 5.1 and iOS users) and the name of the Permission Group (for Android 6.0 and above).
- Notifications – Notifications may include alerts, sounds and icon badges. These can be configured in Settings.
- Camera – The camera can be used to attach a photograph when submitting a report. The camera also serves as a flashlight that is accessed on the Settings screen.
- Location – The location shows where the user is when they file an incident report.
- Identity – This permission is deprecated within the Safety Center application.
- Wi-Fi – The Safety Center app checks for Wi-Fi availability so that users can receive push notifications, send reports, receive plan updates, etc.
Android 5.1 / Android 6.0
- Camera / Take pictures and record video – Just as users may submit a picture that is saved on his/her device in an app like Google Drive or on the camera roll, users may also take live photos of incidents and submit them through the application via reports and forms. Administrators can enable/disable the option to attach an image to a report or form. The camera also serves as a flashlight that is accessed on the Settings screen.
- Access to Contacts / Access your contacts – In certain plans, administrators may have elected to hyperlink a phone number or email address to make it actionable (tap to call/tap to email). On certain devices, if a user holds the number down they can save the number or email address as a contact in their native Phone Contacts.
- Location / Access device’s location – The user’s location is only polled and sent through the application when a report or form is submitted. This is to provide accuracy of the user’s location in the event of an incident or a call for help from the user. If the user has not enabled location services, the location of the device will not be sent with the report or form. Safety Center does not use your device location in the background when the app is closed. This is a setting that can be enabled or disabled by an administrator.
- Photos/Media/Files / Access to photos, media, and files – In certain reports and forms, an administrator may have provided an option to upload a picture of an incident. Users can choose an image from any image/picture-storing app on their device or from the camera roll. This is a setting that can be enabled or disabled by an administrator.
- Device ID and Call Information / Make and manage phone calls – Safety Center requests this permission in order to receive push messages and for additional information to aid GPS and Network details when sending an incident report. It is also required so that Safety Center can read phone status allowing the application to know when it is in the background. When the Safety Center application is moved to the background all PIN protected plans are locked and will require the user to re-enter their PIN upon trying to access the plan.
How to Update the Plan
If an Administrator updates a plan that you have downloaded, you will be notified by a badge on the Safety Center app icon.
- Tap the Safety Center app icon to open the app.
- A pop up will appear, asking if you want to download the new version of the plan. Tap Yes and the plan will downloaded with the updated content.