Creating Meter Based PMs
Asset Essentials allows you to generate new preventive maintenance (PM) work orders based on meter readings for an Asset.
Watch the Video Tutorial:
How to Create a Meter Based PM
- Click on the Work Orders menu icon, then click PM/PdM.
- Click the New button.
- Enter a Title.
- If this PM schedule should be active and ready to generate Work Orders upon saving, make sure the box next to Enabled is checked.
- Select Meter Title in the Source Type drop down menu.
- Select MR-Based for the PM work order to generate based only on the results of a meter reading.
- Select Time-Based with MR Override to setup a Schedule Based PM which allows for a certain meter reading threshold to override the schedule. *Note: If you select this option, you will need to set up a schedule frequency as well as select your meter title.
- The rest of the fields in the General section are optional, however it is recommended to provide as much detail as possible.
- Click the plus sign icon () to open the Select Meter Title window.
- Click the gear icon () to select the Asset.
- Select the Meter Title from the drop down menu.
- Select from one of the following options:
- Threshold - This option means a Work Order will generate when it either falls below the Min Threshold or rises above the Max Threshold.
- Running Total - This option means a Work Order will generate if the difference between the current meter reading and the meter reading from the last service is out of the entered range.
- Click on the meter icon () to select the Meter reading from last service.
- Enter the Difference Max. For example, enter "5000" here if you would like oil changes to be done every 5,000 miles.
- Accumulated Readings - This option means a Work Order will generate if the total of all meter readings for the Asset exceeds the value you enter.
- Click on the meter icon () to select the Last MR date that triggered WO.
- Enter the Total Max. For example, enter 150000 here if a vehicle manufacturer recommends specific service requirements once the vehicle reaches that mileage.
The Work requested section provides a way to enter a description of the work to be performed. In general, this description is an overview of the work, and does not replace the Tasks/Steps section of the PM.
Use this section to indicate who is responsible for the PM work.
- Click the Select User () or Select Me () icons to either select yourself or another user whose information is already populated in Asset Essentials.
The Parts section of a PM schedule enables you to allocate or assign parts to a PM. Those parts will appear on each work order that the PM schedule generates. This creates a link between parts assigned in the PM and the inventory held by the organization.
- Click on the Select Part icon ().
- Choose the Part(s) from the Select Part window.
An asset needed to complete PM work is defined as a piece of equipment and can be added to the PM schedule as an equipment item. For example, if you need to use a Shop-Vac to complete the PM work, you can select the Shop-Vac asset in this section to indicate it will be used to on the job. If you are performing maintenance on the Shop-Vac, then it would be selected as an Asset on the PM Schedule and not in this section.
- To select a piece of Equipment, click the Select Asset icon ().
- In the Select Asset window, check the box next to the Asset(s) you will be using as Equipment, and click the Select button.
- Select the User who will be using the Equipment to complete this PM work.
- If the Equipment has an Equipment Rate, select it from the drop down.
- If you are utilizing the Calendar features of Asset Essentials, enter a Start Time and End Time so other staff members can view when the Equipment will be in use.
Asset Essentials allows you to create a list of tasks for the worker to follow. You have the option to either create a new task by clicking the Add New Task button or you can select a existing task from the Tasks Library. *Note: If you are adding a task to a new work order, you must first save the work order before any tasks can be added.
Adding a Task from the Tasks Library
- Click on Select Task from library.
- Check the box next to any task you would like included on the work order.
- Click the Copy button to transfer the tasks to the work order.
Adding a Single Task
- Click on Add New Task to create a new task on the work order.
- In the Task window, select the User responsible for the task from the drop down menu or click the user icon () to select a user from the list.
- Enter the Name of the task as well as the Description.
- Select the Task Type. You can select "Instruction" for generic step-by-step tasks, or "Collect Reading" if the worker should record any meter readings from an asset. *Note: If you select Collect Reading, you must also select an Asset and a Meter Title.
- Enter a Description for the task.
- If you need to attach a document to the task, click the image icon and select a document from either your Document Library or upload a file from your computer.
- Repeat these steps to add as many tasks as needed.
Use this section to attach documents related to your PM schedule.
- Click on the Select Document icon to either select a document from the Documents Library, or add a document from your computer.
Custom Fields for Work Order
If your account is using custom fields, fill out any information in this section.
- Once you have completed all of the required fields, click the Save button at the top of the page.